All by myself

 I was finally able to shower all by myself. I know I'm an adult. After all this time in the hospital and having Josh help me shower, I was able to do it by myself. I was also able to tie my own shoes. It's amazing what is taken for granted as a normal everyday life. Showers, tying shoes, brushing hair. 

There are several things I've done for years on my own without fail. For example, taking a shower. Or even brushing my hair. Why am I talking about that? Well, let me show you. After having a port put in my chest, I had lots to relearn. Like taking a shower. And brushing my hair. 

So what is it about being all by myself that makes it harder? I've depended on Josh to do a lot. He's taken care of me to the inth degree. Helping with housework, doing dishes, tying my shoes, and even helping wash my hair. I asked him why he's helped me so much and his response should not have surprised me. "In sickness and in health; you're sick." If I could tell you why that response surprised me, I would tell you. It just did. I never expected to be on dialysis at this point in my life. At 42 years old, I should be able to just live my life normally. But what is normal really? 

Of course, I say that after working in the foster care system. Normal is one's own perception. My new normal is showering differently, having more help than I expected from Josh, living with medication, and being in and out of the doctors office monthly. I'll be doing it all by myself if necessary. 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

To whom it may concern

The future of whoever she will be

Whoever little brother wants to be